The Electra Loft 7D bicycle at our shop looked so nice that I just had to take it out for a ride. So here is my product review for this great bicycle after having taken it out for a spin around Wandsworth Common.
- This is a gorgeous looking bike - it will turn peoples' heads as you pass by! The colours are fun and bright, and the design of the bike is a mix of old fashioned and squeaky-clean new.
- Everything on the bike has a purpose. For example, the bike has sleek mudguards that will keep street muck from dirtying your clothes in the rain. There's also a stylish double step-through bar.
- If you suffer from back pain this bike is perfect for you! It has a comfortable upright riding position that won't exacerbate back problems.
- The ride is super smooth even on bumpier patches of road, and for a Dutch-style bike it is considerably lightweight.
- With all these design components it's the ideal commuter bike - making short commutes as easy and comfortable as possible.
What's not so great
- The Loft 7D has seven speeds, but I didn't get on with the gear system. Perhaps it’s because I'm used to my fancy carbon road bike, but when going up or down a gear I found the difference jarring.
- Although the saddle looks big and comfy, it wasn’t very comfortable for me. There were pressure points on the outer side edges of the saddle that dug into my bum, and it was slippery so I didn’t feel very secure on the bike.
- When I sat upright I could feel my arms making a lot of effort and they were a little sore, but this could be because I'm not used to this riding position.
Overall the Electra Loft 7D is a very nice bike for commuting over short distances - particularly on flat roads. I say “flat road” because I'd prefer not to be using the gears too much. Nevertheless, it's a pleasure to ride such a beautiful bicycle!
And here's what Electra has to say about the Loft Series:
This Autumn's Electra Bicycle Company expands their lifestyle collection with Loft, a range of city bikes designed for every day, practical use.
“In contrast to our vibrant and artistic fashion bicycles, the Loft collection is truly designed for the commuter,” said Robin Vallaire, Electra’s creative director. “Although utilitarian, we chose to give them a mid-century modern colour palette and a variety of finishes, bringing the bold Electra spirit to our newest bikes.”
The four model collection, built around two frame styles, a diamond and a mixte-style step-through, is inspired by people who live and ride in cities around the world. All models include foot-forward positioning, Electra’s patented Flat Foot Technology, that offers an upright riding position designed for comfort and control. The models all boast clean lines, sleek swept-back handlebars, and 700c wheels.